Foster + Partners
The role is a Fire Engineer within the Fire Safety Team of Foster + Partners. The Fire Safety Team is a fire safety, engineering and science team which provides fire safety leadership and advice cross-functionally within Foster + Partners. The team’s mission is to assist in the delivery of adequate and inclusive fire safety – by constantly learning, championing, and driving evidence-based fire safety design and science. The team is relatively new, making this an exciting opportunity to join a growing multi-disciplinary internal team, with opportunities to inform and drive team development.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to -
- Attending collaborative meetings and workshops with internal and external stakeholders – providing fire safety guidance, information, and recommendations.
- Reviewing design information, for example, drawings, presentations, and specifications, and providing fire safety comment and advice.
- Generating, issuing, and distributing memorandums, technical notes, and presentations on critical fire safety issues which may impact projects or the wider organisation.
- Carrying out research into and having proactive oversight over the fire safety implications of new technologies, materials, approaches, and regulation –feeding back insights to applicable stakeholders in a clear manner and making any relevant recommendations.
- Carrying out qualitative and/or quantitative risk assessments and presenting to stakeholders, to enable informed decision-making.
Skills and experience required -
- Previous experience in a similar position.
- Evidence of strong professional conduct; including ethical working under pressure.
- Proven ability to foster and maintain strong cooperative relationships across a complex organisational landscape.
- Proven ability to apply rigorous and accurate engineering approaches to safety. For example, qualitative and quantitative risk assessment, probabilistic and deterministic analysis.
- Evidence of the ability to sensitively balance complex and interrelated objectives. For example, cost, programme, fire safety, carbon, quality, and constructability.
- Demonstrated good network with the fire science, fire engineering, and wider community.
- Experience of structural fire engineering, façade fire engineering, and/or fire experimentation.
- Experience in the use of advanced engineering methods. For example, CFD-based modelling, FEA analysis, quantitative probabilistic/reliability analysis.
- Experience with the use of Matlab, Python, R, or similar, to carry out data analysis, automation, and/or model development.
- Experience with BIM, Rhino, Grasshopper or similar to carry out parametric design and multi-objective optimisation.
- Experience with a range of international regulatory and guidance frameworks (e.g. US, China, UAE).
If you would like to apply, please visit our careers page and apply with an up to date CV.